Every year BER’s Biological Systems Science Division (BSSD) reports on various aspects of its basic science mission as part of DOE’s performance management process. Highlights of recent basic research results relevant towards achieving BER’s long-term performance goals on the requested topic that show progress toward the targeted goal for that year and ultimately toward the Overall Goal for BSSD.
Overall Goal: BER Predictive Understanding
Advance an iterative systems biology approach to the understanding and manipulation of plant and microbial genomes as a basis for biofuels development and predictive knowledge of carbon and nutrient cycling in the environment.
- Targeted Goal for FY 2022: Develop new technologies for assessing microbial ecological processes in environmental samples
- Q1: Report on the latest techniques for recovering microbial isolates from environmental samples. [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
- Q2: Describe progress on new techniques for characterizing microbial isolates in the laboratory. [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
- Q3: How laboratory simulations using microbial isolates informs the understanding of the microbial ecology in environmental samples. [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
- Q4 Target: Report on capabilities to model the activities of microbial communities in environmental samples [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
- FY22 End-of-Year Summary [DOWNLOAD: PDF]